The Music Slut


18.12.06

Review: Explosions In The Sky - All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone

Ninety percent of the reviews you will read for this record will declare that Explosions In The Sky have officially become 'The American Mogwai'. Last week, I waxed poetically about the band and compared their rise in popularity to The Arcade Fire circa 2004.

Their new album, All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone is a post-rock lover's dream: full of euphoric guitar distortions, out-of-this-world drumming and of course, the slow and steady build-ups leading into a series of dramatic finales.

I've been a strong follower of EITS for the last 3 or 4 years. I was instantly drawn to their debut, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever and was pleasantly surprised when they followed up the terrific debut with the equally brilliant, The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place. I saw them blow the roof off of Mercury Lounge and eagerly awaited their next release.

AOASIME (not too catchy, is it?) is another remarkable album. Each of the LP's six tracks take its listener on a journey and when the album is complete, you want to venture back again. And again and again. Perhaps the strongest track on the album is also, surprisingly, the shortest, the album's closer 'So Long, Lonesome'. The piece is four minutes of sheer bliss. I can't imagine a better way to close such a thrilling record. Explosions In The Sky is on the verge of becoming a household name, I can't possibly give you any more warning than I already have. Close your eyes and drift away.

MP3: Explosions In The Sky - So Long, Lonesome

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the mp3 and the commentary. I'll definitely check these guys out during one of their NYC dates next year.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home