The Music Slut


29.4.08

Calvin Harris @ Bowery: Stepping Out In Black & White

Let me take the time to profess my undying love for the Scottish it-boy before I continue with this review. I simply adored his eight song mini-set last September at Mercury Lounge, I was highly amused by his witty/charming responses to my '8 Questions With' session & I maintained my respect for Calvin when he allowed Germany's Next Top Model to feature one of his tunes ('Acceptable In The 80s') in their promotional campaigns. With that in mind, I can honestly admit that last night's gig felt somewhat disappointing.

For the first half of the 60-minute show, Calvin seemed apathetic to the overwhelming response he received from the sold out crowd. There was an obvious disconnect between the fanatical attendees and Calvin's overall demeanor. I'm not sure if he's grown tired of performing his debut LP (I Created Disco) or if something was lurking underneath the surface but regardless of the reason, sparks didn't fly until Calvin started toying around with his brilliant new tracks ('Jerusalem' & 'Back Door'). From that point onwards, the gig was gold. The closing trio of 'Vegas', 'I Created Disco' & 'The Girls' was nothing short of magical. Enjoy more photos, the full setlist & an MP3 below. Visit Calvin on MySpace.



Setlist: Conjoined Skin. Certified. Disco Heat. This Is The Industry. 80s. Merrymaking. Neon Rocks. Back Door. Jerusalem. Colours. Vegas. I Created Disco. The Girls.

MP3: Calvin Harris - I Created Disco [alt link]

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The crowd was kind of, um, douchey, no? Lot of creased-bill ballcaps.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

more like douche central!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they all came to the same show as you.
maybe your a douche

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home