The Music Slut


1.4.07

The Presets @ Studio B (Matt's Take): Are We Friends Now?

Well, are we? That's what Sydney's insanely talented electro duo, The Presets, was asking Brooklyn last night amidst a swarm of flying bodies, fist raisers, and sweat-drenched attendees somewhere around 2am.

Whereas Friday night's LCD Soundsystem show (review here) had a happy-go-lucky dance-till-you-drop vibe to it, last night's Presets show was a little more, actually a lot more, violent in nature. So much so, that Jen and I scurried over to the soundboard area on stage left after just three tracks. With that said, The Presets were fantastic, albeit visibly confused by the savage crowd themselves.

Julian and Kim wasted little time before busting out the big boys. Singles 'Are You The One' and 'Girl And The Sea' were both played within the first six songs of the set, as was the ridiculously amazing 'Kitty In The Middle' (MP3 below), which incidentally may be my new favorite track of theirs.

There's something about The Presets that truly sets them apart from 'the competition', but it's somewhat difficult to describe. I think one of the major reasons why I adore The Presets is that while their live shows are an adrenaline-inducing cyclone, their recorded material is just as flawless and captivating. Quite the accomplishment if you ask me.

Their debut LP, Beams, is a rollercoaster that you never want to get yourself off of. Well, at least I don't - hell, I want a front-row seat! For info on all their releases, including early EPs prior to Beams, check out the 'Sound & Vision' section on their official site.



Datarock lovers, not to fret. Jen's extensive review (including some amazing photos) on its way, be patient. As for The Presets, their final US date in the indefinite future is tonight at Sonar in Baltimore, Maryland. I expect all of you within 100 miles to shake your tailfeathers and hop down to the show!

MP3: The Presets - Kitty In The Middle

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I wish I was there, but after LCD I was over. I saw The Presets at Bowery opening for The Rapture and they almost steal the show. I wanna see them next time headlining.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They are two and isn't amazing how they arrange their music to make it sound like if they were twelve?

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home