The Music Slut


4.3.06

Stellastarr*, Reading Rooms, Dundee


Just so's you know - all pics are thanks to Alan Sharp from the Stellastarr* messageboards - Cheers!

Last night your only Scottish Slut headed along to see some of NYC's hottest, the fine and mighty Stellastarr*, over the water in Dundee. They were playing at the Reading Rooms, and (despite my earlier rantage about tickets, etc), I have got to say that this is one fabulous venue. It seems to be an old library - though perhaps I'm wrong, but it'd make sense with the name!), beautifully neo-classical on the outside, and then on the inside a really lovely, intimate space, a combination of bare stone walls, camouflage netting and crazee artworks. I loved it. We were lucky enough to have four bands playing last night, including Stellastarr*; first up were Alamos, who, I have to admit were not really my thang. A bit on the incoherent side, it seemed like they were stuggling to figure out what they were actually doing and why, although that might be a bit harsh, given that I've never heard any of their recorded stuff. It was a shame, because it seemed like they had some good ideas behind their music; perhaps if they'd had a bit more than 30 mins, then they would have been able to get a better rhythm going.

However, the next act up, the Hourly Radio, also only had about 30 mins and they were fabulous. All I know is that they come from Texas. They were great. *gushes*.

Then we got to the meat of the evening; I'm not that familiar with the Twenty-Twos, but they were awesome too; great harmonies (though a bit hard to hear!), and tunes the entire audience appreciated; and I have to comment on it - the drummer's tache. For that, my man, I salute you, and for your indefatigable energy behind the drumkit. Outstanding. Oh, and add to that, the singer's name is Jenny Christmas. Outstanding times two.

I'm not sure what I can add about Stellastarr* themselves beyond what we've already said about them in the past. Amazing stage presence; this is the first time that this particular slut has seen them live, and I did wonder about how they would translate from record to stage. But I was just blown away by the sheer scale of their performance; it was a tiny venue, but the band dominated it entirely. So many highlights, but I absolutely adored Sweet Troubled Soul, plus She's Gone, which will be the B-side to STS.

And we got my coco as an encore. Hurrah!

More please, and soon!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger m said...

we heart ss*

i'm seeing them for the gazillionth time on the 27th.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home