The Music Slut


3.6.08

8 Questions With: The Antlers

The Antlers are playing ATJ Fest on 6/21.

We've been obsessive fans for the last 18 months.

Here's our interview with frontman, Peter Silberman.

Visit The Antlers on MySpace.

1. Your sound's changed considerably in the past year or so, can you elaborate on the differences & the band's current direction?

It's hard to say how that evolution occurred. I think I could credit some of that to the fact that I've been listening to a ton of different bands and artists in the past year and am inevitably influenced by what I'm listening to or falling asleep to. During the writing and recording of In The Attic Of The Universe, I had really limited my intake of music, but almost immediately after releasing it, I suddenly began a very different life, even though I was only moving from Manhattan into Brooklyn. The change wasn't so much locational though. Everything flipped upside down and as a result I started listening to totally different music that steered me in a bunch of different directions. Getting a band together and starting to make music with other people has definitely changed the sound as well.

2. What can you tell me about the forthcoming LP, Hospice?

Hospice came about as a result of my old life, and is more or less the story of the last two years of it, written after the fact. I've been working on it for about a year now, and what I can say as it comes closer to being done is that it might be surprising. It's darker and, well, louder than one might expect based on hearing everything released so far. The sound might be a bit more in keeping with what our live show has become, so in that way maybe it's a natural evolution. But like Attic, it's narrative, and makes much more sense when listened to from start to finish. There's more information at this blog I started about it.

3. The Antlers have been aligned next to nearly everyone - from Antony to Neutral Milk Hotel to Grizzly Bear to Eluvium - which comparison do you feel is most on point?

I don't think any of the comparisons have come as a shock to me, as those are all bands I listen to and have in some way influenced what I make. It's interesting for me to learn what people are reminded of when they listen, though it's usually accidental and more of a "hey, you're right. it DOES kinda sound like that"! It's really flattering.

4. When listening to your records, I definitely hear elements of Jeff Buckley.

Is Grace a particular influence for you?


Back in high school I definitely listened to Jeff Buckley a lot, especially around this time of year, though I had overdone it by the time I started to actually sing (which wasn't until I was 17). For a long time I've listened to singers with like Jeff Buckley, Thom Yorke, Jonsi (Sigur Ros) & I'm sure they've all become a part of how I end up singing.

5. New Yorkers have been spoiled with myriad live gigs over the last two years, are there any plans to take Hospice on a national tour of the United States?

Touring is definitely on the horizon. My goal with Hospice is to have it reach a much wider audience & an important part of that's going to rely on touring. Loose plans have been made a few times, but now things seem to be in a position to really happen, or at least I hope so. I don't like staying in one place for too long.

6. Are you as excited for My Bloody Valentine's return as we are?

I'm excited to hear whatever they release. Portishead eased my worries about comebacks by creating a really fantastic record, and I think My Bloody Valentine are capable of the same. But it's been a few years since I've been good at getting tickets to popular concerts, so I'm sure I'll end up missing out on seeing them live. Ah well.

7. We can't wait for your set at ATJ Fest. Any surprises?

If I told you, then they wouldn't be surprises! The way we've started playing our set recently has led to some different surprises each time, so you'll be as surprised as we are.

8. Thanks for taking the time to chat with us.

Any parting words and/or slutty advice?


I've been doing research on that horrible saying, "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars" & Google seems to think it was originally coined by a Backstreet Boy. So if anyone could confirm or deny this, please e-mail me.

MP3: The Antlers - Uprooted

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home