The Music Slut


5.1.08

Holler Wild Rose @ Luna Lounge: A New Sensation

It was roughly two months ago when I first discovered the soaring sounds of (KCRW-approved) Holler Wild Rose. After falling in love with their debut LP, Our Little Hymnal, instantaneously, I was beyond eager see if the band's passionate/potent tunes would translate well in a live setting. While probably better suited at Mercury Lounge, HWR overwhelmingly impressed me with their brief-yet-strapping set last night at Brooklyn's Luna Lounge. Following the adage of 'less talk, more rock', Holler Wild Rose stormed through about half of Hymnal with zeal, precision and arrant finesse. With countless young acts heavily influenced by early '90s shoegaze, it's inspiring to hear a band that can meticulously highlight the genre's brightest moments all the while adding a layer of richness that is entirely their own into the grand melting pot. Read NPR's radiant feature on the Jersey-based band here. Enjoy a duo of photographs from the gig below.

Visit Holler Wild Rose at their official MySpace page. Download an MP3 at bottom.

MP3: Holler Wild Rose - Marylawn Hair

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Duncan said...

They're good.

And I mean really good!

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i beg to differ. the overwhelming lack of originality and pretention spoils this band for me. t heir holiday cover is a caricature of them as well.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Duncan said...

then I BEG that you listen again.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, yeah, holiday covers are usually a vital source of originality. um, yeah.

silliness.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to know, since someone out there thinks that they are "unoriginal," what said person would consider to in fact BE original. That's all. I'm curious. I like to explore music. If something out there is worth knowing about, I want to know what it is.
Thanks

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh hey, it's me again. You can reply to casedinlight@aol.com with who you think is worth listening to.

I'm probably never going to remember to check this site again is all.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home