The Music Slut


9.8.07

Owen Pallett Spills The Beans To 'Sup Mag

View the entire Q+A here. My favorite snippets are highlighted below. Follow this link to check out all of Final Fantasy's upcoming N. American tour dates.

When I first heard the cover songs, more specifically the Mariah Carey and the Bloc Party covers, what struck me is that most bands that would cover a sort of mainstream song, would do it in an ironic, hee-hee this-is-funny way. Like a few years ago when all of these indie bands were covering Top 40 R&B songs, like Beyonce or OutKast or whatever. Personally, I love a cover song that's sincere. You're taking someone's song and making it your own, with your voice and your instrumentation, but initially you connected with this song for whatever reason.

I heard this recording of Ben Gibbard covering Avril Lavigne, and the whole time he's like: 'No guys, shut up, this is serious. Really, this is serious.' And he's cracking a smile the whole way through. It's like, 'no Ben, try harder'. If you think this is a good song then I want to believe you. I don't like irony in music. Or, if you're going to be ironic, you have to be like Art Brut. They're very well thought-out and are ironic from start to finish.

Yeah, go the whole nine yards. Anyway, what's your gameplan if you ever get sued by SquareSoft?

Um, I don't have a gameplan. I don't think anyone would ever think suing me would be a good idea. If they did then I'd just change the name. I'll change it to DragonQuest [laughs].

Just keep going through the whole gamut of video game names. Lastly, earlier you were talking about the meritocracy of end-of-year Top 10 lists. What would you think if I told you that my #1 record of 2005 was Final Fantasy Has a Good Home?

Well, I'd say that you're a masochist. Or I'd say that you're just trying to make my cold day much nicer.

MP3: Final Fantasy - Fantasy (Mariah Carey cover)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home