The Music Slut


12.4.07

Jeff Buckley's Mother 'Teary Eyed' After Cinematics Cover

Scottish quartet, The Cinematics, stirred up quite the buzz for themselves, after covering the Jeff Buckley classic, 'Grace', at this year's SXSW. Little did they know that as they were performing the song at one of the Austin gigs, Jeff's mom, Mary Guibert, was in attendance and visibly moved by The Cinematics take on the tune.

Frontman Scott Rilling tells Spinner: "I fell completely silent and just stared for a while... I tried to say something about the profound impact her son's music had had on my life, but I just mumbled something fairly incoherent. I can't really remember what she said. Someone told me she said something about [our cover] being one of the most beautiful interpretations of her son's music she'd heard. She had a teary eye... and -- I'm not proud, it's not very rock 'n' roll -- but my eyes were also over-powered by this weird human activity."

Intense. Check out a video of the cover over at Spinner. It really is a majestic take on the song. Their latest LP, A Strange Education, is in stores now. More on the band over at their MySpace page.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home