The Music Slut


8.2.07

I've got my hand in your... head?

Mark February 27th in your diary, people: the Beastie Boys' erstwhile keyboardist Money Mark returns with his latest, Brand New By Tomorrow. First time I ever saw Money Mark performing on TV, promoting second record Push the Button with single 'hand in your head', I've thought of him as something special. The one problem I has was that Push the Button, while beautifully put together for the most part, was full of "interesting" little asides that really detracted from the musical inventiveness on display elsewhere. Brand New By Tomorrow has none of these issues. Keen to make sure that the record isn't considered a "downer", Mark's gone for a much more downbeat approach but filled it with hope and ideas of a new day coming:

I guess there's no way to avoid a broken heart but what I can say is I will never go very far.

"I named the song and the album Brand New By Tomorrow because I just thought, all this could be fixed in a one day. These people are breaking up but by tomorrow they will be best of friends," Mark says. "I like to get over pain quickly, which can really only be done by facing it head on. With this album I decided to face things head on and document them."


Money Mark - Hand in your Head

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I'm afraid I can't agree with your take on 'Push The Button'. Calling the sounds or textures he's included 'asides' shows you probably haven't soaked it up and enjoyed it in the same way that I and many others have.

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark is really an underrated talent. So many hit songs bear his hooks. Beck's "Where it's at," of course the Beastie's "Whatcha want" etc. But he doesn't stop there, he can really write some beautiful songs. No wonder Carol Kaye and Jim Keltner recorded this new record with him. Can't wait to pick it up.

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the song!!!! I just heard it while waiting for my train in Parisian RER and wanted badly to find it!! Marvellous song

Anna, Kiev

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home