The Music Slut


17.1.07

Nellie McKay, What Were You Thinking?

Nellie, I love you dearly. Your sophomore effort, Pretty Little Head, was my second favorite album of 2006. I waxed poetically about you on The DL, I even went to see you in The Threepenny Opera, but why in the hell did you team up with this local street rapper to make the worst music video I've seen in a looooong time? Check out the clip below and don't tell me this is not worthy of a Public Access gold medal!



Yikes, right? On a more positive note, Nellie is featured in the latest issue of Out magazine (page 17). In it, she answers 5 oddball questions including 'What topic would you never write a song about?'. Her response: 'I'd never write a song promoting hunting, racism, or encouraging torture, except in the case of Alan Cumming'! The claws are out, don't mess with Nellie! She brings her twisted sarcasm to Carnegie Hall on 4/27.

UPDATE: The video is from '03, it's not indeed new. Phew!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Music Slut.
My name is Timothy Dark aka the local "street" rapper. I don't know how I stumbled across this blog, but somehow, someway (unfortunately) I did. I read it and was going to just ignore it but I couldn't. It wasn't like a bad review in a magazine. It was more like you said, "I don't know this guy or his music, I think I'll attack him and make myself feel good tonight"
First of all, I would like to gladly accept the Public Access award (whatever that is) on behalf of the college students who used my music (as well as bunch of other local artists) as the inspiration and the backbone for creating videos for their final exam. That might be the reason why the video isn't MTV quality. I'm sorry it wasn't up to your standards. I'm sorry it wasn't the second coming of MJ's Thriller. I can tell by the look of your website that every thing you do, create and put forth is definitely top of the line.
You should do some research on an artist before you start labeling them "street." What is a street rapper anyway? Can you tell me, or should I go to Urban Outfitters and purchase a slang dictionary?
Being such a big fan of Nellie's I'd figure maybe, just maybe you might say
"Hey, Nellie's a smart, creative girl, I guess she knew what she was doing when she teamed up with this "street" rapper guy"
If you truly want to be called and considered a music slut, I think you should learn more about the artist's background before you rush to post on your blog.

Have a good night.

God bless

TD
www.timothydark.tv

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home