The Music Slut


11.12.06

Saddest Song Ever Written

Well, they asked and, err, some geezers responded.

Rolling Stone recently conducted a poll and here's how their readers voted for saddest song ever written:

1. The Verve - The Drugs Don’t Work
2. Robbie Williams - Angels
3. Elton John - Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
4. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
5. Sinead O’Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
6. Will Young - Leave Right Now
7. Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome Tonight
8. Christina Aguilera - Beautiful
9. James Blunt - Goodbye My Lover
10. Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees


My additions would include The Smiths - Asleep, Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye & Travis - Slide Show, amongst others.

What else is this list missing? (I know it needs a LOT of help, Will Young?? James Blunt?? Come on!)

*FYI, Rolling Stone - 'Nothing Compares 2 U' was written by PRINCE and 'I Will Always Love You' was written by DOLLY PARTON. Shmucks.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

rem - country feedback

the unplugged version..

definitely #1

so sad it makes u happy..

if u know what i mean..

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad doesn't even begin to cover it. Most of those - James sodding Blunt, Robbie Williams, Elton John, Will Young, Will fucking Young!!! - transcend sad and go straight for deeply and painfully embarrassing.

How can a sad songs list exclude the likes of Nick Cave (Brompton Oratory springs most readily to mind), Billy Bragg (Valentines Day Is Over), Tom Waits (Bad Liver & a Broken Heart), Bob Dylan (You're Going to Make Me Lonesome When You Go) or Eels (Stars Shine In The Sky Tonight)?

Will Young!!!!!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Private Beach said...

This is a pretty unimaginative list. If Sinead is going to be there, it should be for her version of Elton John's "Sacrifice", which was truly heartrending. But what about Nina Simone's "Why? (The King of Love is Dead)", Bob Dylan's "If You See Her, Say Hello", Lou Reed's "Berlin" album in its entirety, Tim Hardin's "Hang on to a Dream", Leonard Cohen's "Famous Blue Raincoat", The Smiths' "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now"? Or am I confusing melancholy with sadness?

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about anything from that first This Mortal Coil album?

3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Fake Plastic Trees" is by no means the saddest Radiohead number--I guess it's just the one most people are familiar with. I'd nominate "How I Made My Millions" (a B-side). It's never failed to make me tear up. Runner up would be "Lucky."

1:06 PM  
Blogger m said...

agreed! where is 'street spirit' or 'how to disappear completely'?

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever since I saw the movie Match Point I've been hooked on one of the songs on its sound tracks.
"Una Furtiva Lagrima"
from "L'Elisir D'Amore"
By- Placido Domingo
Never thought much of opera until I heard this song, check out the lyrics if you enjoy it.

2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vincent, by Don Mclean is arguably the saddest song out there folks

3:02 PM  
Blogger Deezer said...

ok im not a John Mayer fan, but i have this song he sings called 'Comfortable', and it just gets me, so much.

Also:

Amy Winehouse, 'Wake up Alone'

Anna natrebko performing 'O mio babbino caro' (check it out on youtube)

and i dont know why, but REM 'At My most Beautiful'

they're just some that i can think of now

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think by far one of the saddest songs ever written and performed is by Tracy Chapmin called Baby Can I Hold You.
It is about loved lost due to stuborness and I almost will instantly cry when I hear because who hasnt been so stuborn that they would rather lose someone they love than admitt they are wrong.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Antony and the Johnsons
-atrocities

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a whole lot of these songs but those that really are the MOST depressive are:

- Losing my Religion -REM
- Creep - Radiohead
- Heaven's Hung in Black - WASP(though the guitar solo in the end spoils it a little)
- No Suprises - Radiohead
- Something in the way - Nirvana (beware)
- Mad World - Gary Jules

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home