The Music Slut


15.12.06

Owen Pallett To Visit The Heartland

Owen Pallett (Mr. Final Fatasy himself) sat down with Bitchfork this week for an interview discussing his future recordings, The Polaris Prize earnings and that much-buzzed Out magazine feature with Ed from Grizzly Bear. Below are the highlights. Incidentally, aren't you happy I summarized for you to avoid the snarky B-fork commentary on Owen's responses? You're welcome.

Regarding what's next (hopefully sometime in '07): "Right now I'm at work on some 7"s and some EPs," "Down the line, I'll follow up He Poos Clouds with an LP with the inoffensive/boring title of Heartland." "Recording wise, it's going to sound exactly like He Poos Clouds but with better microphones, better writing and we're using compressors to make it sound taut and clicky. No more weak, fey shit! Except the singing. That will always be tacky."

What did Owen do with his Polaris Prize-winning cash? "I just threw a bunch of Polaris money at this Toronto band Rozasia. They are so exciting! I can't even tell you. They just pressed a split 12" with [Old Time Relijun's] Arrington de Dionyso, we're listening to the test pressing right now. No label, no money, no nothing. Oh god, it is so good. The band sounds like [This Heat's] "Horizontal Hold" but ALL THE TIME."

When discussing the article with Ed: "It was just me and Ed talking on his bed," "Neither of us really read the gay mags, so it was a new experience for both of us. Should we talk about politics? Sexual practise? Fashion? Hygeine? Or should we just try and push our albums? We didn't know. "I try to be candid in interviews, I think it makes for more interesting reading. But I've learned that whenever you try and make a point about anything, you always end up sounding like a douchebag."

MP3: Final Fantasy - Arctic Circle

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, sluts. I'm wondering if you saw this bit of Bitchfork-related fun: Pitchfork's Top 50 Albums of 2006: The Drinking Game. Good times!

Anyway, thanks for posting this here so I didn't have to read it there.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home