The Music Slut


8.11.06

Placebo @ Nokia Theater: 20th Century Boys

Last night I ventured above 14th Street for 3 Brits. Those 3 Brits happen to comprise Placebo and they were playing a sold-out show with She Wants Revenge (yikes, you better believe I arrived after their set was done) at Nokia Theater, over on 44th Street. At first I was a little tentative to see Placebo again because the last time I saw them was 3 long years ago and I haven't fully grasped Meds, their latest opus, yet.

My ambivalence quickly dissipated as the band put on an amazing show full of new tracks, old tunes and even the much-buzzed Kate Bush cover, 'Running Up That Hill'. Brian Molko looked as dapper as ever in a black button-down with a yellow-striped tie. Seems like he shaved his head which sorta gave him a modern-day Boy George aesthetic, but I was feelin' it.

The band opened with a glaring rendition of new single, 'Infra-Red', and continued on the Meds streak until they busted out the much-loved 'Every Me Every You' and last album's title track, 'Sleeping With Ghosts'. Brian was in a rather playful mood last night even requesting people to sing the 'ba da ba ba ba' part to 'Special K' as he dedicated it to 'American Idol'. Ha!

As an added bonus we got to hear 'Without You I'm Nothing', which has been very rarely played over the last 5 or 6 years and 'Taste In Men', which got the crowd into a complete frenzy. Long live Placebo.

MP3: 'Every Me Every You'

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Placebo are brilliant. I'm probably too obsessed with their music (bootlegs mmmmmmm).

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home