The Music Slut


2.11.06

The Knife @ Webster Hall (Late Show): I've Got Myxomatosis!

Wow. For once, I'm almost speechless when I attempt to review this show. It was rather surreal.


I went from liking to loving The Knife within the last 24 hours. Their live show is definitely one that's a difficult task to describe but just to throw some terms/names in, I would tell you that there's definitely an element of Blue Man Group, early 90s rave (hey, it's back in full force!), one of those laser light shows that they are held at top science-centric museums, and a creepy public access cable show you catch yourself mysteriously glued to at 3am.


The use of shadow, blinking lights, imagery, multiple screens and costume is unlike anything else I've ever seen. As for the music, sure it's almost entirely pre-recorded (not the vocals, just the sounds) but it really was flawless. The back-to-back punch of 'Heartbeats' and 'Silent Shout' definitely won over the already overzealous crowd. The set-closing 'Like A Pen' was the perfect way to leave the faithful begging for more but feeling distinctly satisfied.


Over the course of the day I'm sure quite a few reviews will pop up from these shows, but for now catch Chris's review of the early one. Seems like it was quite identical to the late show but no surprise there!

Setlist: Pass This On/The Captain/We Share Our Mothers' Health/You Make Me Like Charity/Marble House/Forest Families/Kino/Heartbeats/Silent Shout/From Off To On//Like A Pen

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really?

I went their with high hopes, and I left feeling let down. Maybe I expected too much.

10:14 AM  
Blogger m said...

i honestly loved it!

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home