The Music Slut


16.10.06

12 Questions With Joan As Policewoman (Part 2 of 3)

On Antony:

TMS: So, about people you’ve collaborated with in the past…how amazing is Antony to work with?
Joan: He’s the best!
TMS: He just seems like such a sweetheart.
Joan: He’s incredible. He’s an incredible artist, and he’s an incredible person and he’s an incredible friend.
TMS: I’ve seen him countless times, and every show is just, moving. And you were in his band and toured Europe with him?
Joan: I joined his band in 1999.
TMS: So that’s after the first album had come out.
Joan: That’s right. It is great.
TMS: ‘I Am A Bird Now’ is of course, amazing. First one’s great too.
Joan: It is. Almost no one that’s in the band whose on that record. He made that separate, before he put the band together. But I sure played those songs a lot. And then made the record, ‘I Am A Bird Now’ and then Rufus asked me to open for him and tour with him so then I had to stop playing with Antony ‘cause at one point I had to put my music first. I watched ‘I Am A Bird Now’ take off…and it was amazing to watch. Amazing.

On Rufus:

TMS: So, how about Rufus, do you want to talk about him for a little bit?
Joan: Sure!
TMS: So he gave you that opening slot and you played in the band with him…
Joan: Yeah I was playing guitar and violin, doing a lot of singing.
TMS: And he’s a sweetheart too?
Joan: Rufus is an incredible person. He’s an unstoppable force of nature, in my opinion. He’s also very supportive and very kind and very decent. I mean, he has this fabulousness about him.
TMS: Oh he definitely has this heir.
Joan: But he’s also extremely lovely as a person. I don’t think you find that combination all that often. So, he’s really incredible and his songwriting is just…
TMS: Superb!
Joan: Ultra. Very inspiring artist for me. Very inspiring and his level of performance. Being on the road with him forever, his level of performance is just shocking.
TMS: He’s great.
Joan: He is.
TMS: Are you more a fan of the ‘Poses’-era stuff, or the newer stuff?
Joan: Honestly there are amazing songs he’s written throughout his whole career. His first record has some amazing songs on it. I think a lot of people love that record. That record put him on the map. People were like, ‘What the fuck?’. Incredible! He’s incredible to me.

On the next album:

TMS: So, have you begun thinking about the next album yet? Or is it too far off?
Joan: Yeah, I’ve already started working on it. I got back actually, from Australia on Monday and I started recording on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday so, and I did a little bit too when I was home a few months ago, so yeah I’ve started.
TMS: Is it going to have a similar vibe?
Joan: I don’t know. I record like 20 songs and then you pick from those and I have no idea what it’s going to be like.
TMS: Just sort of filter through…
Joan: Just see what happens, I’m gonna write a lot more songs too, so, we’ll see.

(Part 1 of Joan's interview can be found here; Part 3 will arrive tomorrow!)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home