The Music Slut


22.9.06

Trail Of Dead Try Their Hand At Division

No, they're not splitting.

Here's the latest on their upcoming release.

Billboard reports:

Texas rock outfit ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead will return Nov. 14 with its third Interscope album in four years, "So Divided." As previously reported, the 11-track set includes guest appearances from King Crimson drummer Pat Mastelotto and Dresden Dolls vocalist/pianist Amanda Palmer.

Among the highlights are a dramatic, piano-addled cover of Guided By Voices' "Gold Heart Mountain Top Queen Directory," the sturdy, strutting "Life" and the multi-faceted closer "Sunken Dreams," which most closely resembles Trail Of Dead circa 2002's acclaimed "Source Tags & Codes."

Elsewhere, the band pushes the envelope on "Stand in Silence," where a quasi-inspirational interlude is sandwiched in between a major-key rocker, and the hyper-rhythmic "Wasted of State of Mind," which builds to an anthemic kiss-off: "caught in a stasis / feel like I've wasted all this time / with people and places who've never related or desired."

"So Divided" is the follow-up to 2005's "Worlds Apart," which has sold less than half of "Source Tags." "I put everything I had into that record, and recording it was a miserable ordeal," group member Conrad Keely told Billboard.com in July. "After its reception I was pretty much ready to retire from music and find another career, convinced that I wanted nothing more to do with making music for anyone. But when we started this new album, which was meant to be an EP, I had a different attitude. Mainly, I tried not to care at all, and approach it with a more 'I don't give a f*ck' outlook."

Trail Of Dead will kick off a fall tour with Blood Brothers, Celebration and Brothers & Sisters Oct. 27 in Denver.

Here is the track list for "So Divided":

"Intro: A Song of Fire and Wine"
"Stand in Silence"
"Wasted State of Mind"
"Naked Sun"
"Gold Heart Mountain Top Queen Directory"
"So Divided"
"Life"
"Eight Day Hell"
"Witches Web"
"Segue: In the Realms of the Unreal"
"Sunken Dreams"

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This new CD is a huge step up from World's Apart. I know a few people involved with Trail's management and have heard the new songs. They wouldn't give me a copy, but I can tell you that it is fucking good. I can't wait til it comes out so i can hear it again. There are alot of cool instruments and harmonies all over. Sounds like they've been listening to 60s pop records and early prog. Members of the other band that Conrad plays with sometime, Brothers and Sisters, sing alot on it. I can't wait for the new tour with Blood Brothers and B&S. I'm gonna see them in L.A. and S.F.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home