The Music Slut


16.8.06

EZ Machine & Cassettes Won't Listen @ The Delancey 8/16: Beg Yr Pardon

Matt's commentary is in BLUE, Jen's in PINK.

I really love walking into a show, knowing nothing about the band and then being blown away. I guess I just love a good surprise.



EZ Machines came completely out of left field for me. They reminded me of a hip-hop version of Super Mario Brothers.


They were so fun, so cool and got the crowd very excited. Definitely a group whose show I wouldn't pass up seeing again.


Cassettes Won't Listen put on a spectacular show last night @ The Delancey. Having only been familiar with 'Lunch For Breakfast', I was expecting an electro-pop experience.. not unlike that of the Postal Service. Instead, Jen, myself, and the other 75 people or so in attendance got a whirlwind of a show that involved a bevy of guest stars, a strobe light, and 2 turntables (& a microphone!)



Who would have guessed that Mr. Cassettes played a slammin' electric guitar in addition to his envious keyboarding and DJing skills? The hour-long set was truly cross-genre bending (you like that term, huh?) and overall just really impressive.


When Cassettes' friend (whose name escapes me and for the sake of this post will go by 'the rapper') hopped up on stage for 2 numbers, I was honestly a little tentative about how he would affect Cassettes' already thrilling show. I'm glad to report that my trepidations were quickly erased as soon as 'the rapper' started his tune. We even got an improv about free beer (by the way, fantastic work, Beg yr Pardon)! Quite the pleasant surprise.


The girls helping out on stage were gorgeous weren't they? And they sounded amazing.




I thought I'd mention the kid who looked like Jamie Bell crouching on the stage during CWL's entire set. He worked the light effects. The lights were a nice touch but I think CWL were good enough without them.

Anyway, thanks so much Beg Yr Pardon for inviting us out and putting on not only a great show but a really fun night. We can't wait until the next one (that's in two weeks folks).

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bryan said...

glad you enjoyed it! i gotta get my pictures up!

and i think i realize who you were now, and i should have guessed and said hi. I'm a stupidhead.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Really excited to see him (them) at Sin-e next week!

10:57 AM  
Blogger d said...

because I am curious, I asked cwl who the mystery mc was. his name is bic one & you can download one of the songs he performed last night with cwl on his my space page. it's called picket fences.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha! i thought the mc said his name was something with BISQUE in it...& those EZ MACHINE boyz really are the best! a great night :) xo c

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home