The Music Slut


13.8.06

Apollo Sunshine, Beirut & Deerhoof @ The McCarren Pool Party 8/13: It's Such a Perfect Day

Wow, I am tired. A whole day in the sun at McCarren really takes it out of you. Plus, I think I am coming down off of my three redbull high.

If you are ever looking for something to do on a lazy Sunday this summer, make sure you head over to McCarren. There is no doubt you'll run into half a dozen people you know and even if you don't, you can always get involved in a game of dodgeball, whiffle ball or twister.


This week's show was insanely popular. There was a line around the pool when we arrived, no doubt because of the free chance to see Beirut. Hell, that's why I was there.


First band up today was the Harlem Shakes. I listened but didn't venture over for pictures. Above is a shot of second group up, Apollo Sunshine. They were ok. That's all I really have to say.


I think the best part of the pool parties is hanging out and people watching. Even the dogs get into it.



You see a lot of little kids carted around by very cool looking adults at McCarren.


And for some reason, it is ok for boy and girls of all ages to strip down to their knickers and take a dive down the inflatable slip 'n' slide.


The "cool" kids. Matt, Me, Diana (official Pool Party photographer), friend from school Sarwat and Laura.


Third up was that babe of the blog, Beirut. I believe I have already admitted that I was thoroughly underwhelmed while listening to Beirut's mp3s for the first time. It seems I may have to give them another listen because I loved today's show.


To me, Beirut sounds like the quieter, younger, more contemplative brother to Gogol Bordello. Beirut takes strong inspiration from Spanish funeral marches, with trumpets blaring through most of the songs, while having a decidingly Eastern European, traditional flavour- "because that's how we do it!" according to the tambourine player. I thought the music was thoughtful and gorgeously played. Zach Condon has a sincere and beautiful voice that lends itself perfectly to this genre of music. To be honest, I love traditional music (Spanish, Eastern European, Turkish, Scottish etc.), it makes me think of camp-fires, gypsies and pouring your soul into music, so I really appreciate what Beirut is trying to bring back.


Download: 'Postcards from Italy' & 'Interior of a Dutch House'


The DJ today was Questlove- drummer for The Roots. It was awesome.


People get into all sorts of things at McCarren. This unnamed blogger was spotted bringing it back old-school with an effortless hool-a-hooping marathon. She had cameras pointed at her from all angles.


Headlining the show was Deerhoof. They are...interesting. I liked it but I don't think I would listen to it. Maybe I would. They are like rock art. "So, what do you see in this song? What does the word China represent?" I liked the band members though. Drummer Greg was very humble and thanked the crowd and McCarren sweetly after their set.


Me all up in Questlove's grill. It was AWESOME. I especially like this picture because you can see this bored, fabulous, rock-star looking family just chilling nonchalantly alone against the back wall while everyone else is rocking out.


Download: 'Rrrrrrright' & 'Milking'

Spotted in the crowd was hottie Justin Theroux. He was in clad in all black leather, holding a motorcycle helmet. Shorter in person, but still hot. Also, I was so sure that the father of two little kids playing whiffle ball was Tchéky Karyo but it may have just looked insanely like him.

At next week's Pool Party catch:

Archie Bell & Mighty Hannibal
backed by The Dansettes
The Fabulous Soul Shakers

DJs: Phast Phreddie and Cosmo Baker

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger skye said...

The more time that passes, the more I loathe Beirut (and before anyone thinks that this is some kind of political commentary, I mean the BAND not the CITY. And this isn't the place for a rant about Middle Eastern foreign policies). The music is simultaneously patronising and pretentious. And pretty dull, too. Dammit, it SUCKS!*

*A fair and balanced broadcast, brought to you by SkyeJamie. Thangyooveramuch...

4:19 AM  
Blogger m said...

yay for jagger (the dog)!

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home