The Music Slut


8.6.06

Power Corruption and Lies: Classic Album #1

I've always been a huge New Order fan but mostly stuck to their Greatest Hits (why do they have 3 of these anyway?) until recently. I just can't get enough of their epic Power Corruption & Lies. It's fucking genius and deserves all the attention it received over the last 20 years and will receive for the next 20 years. Influential, stunning, direct and glorious.

For me, the highlight of the album lies within the first track, "Age Of Consent". A song that will surely fall within my top 20 greatest songs of all time. The urgency and vocal delivery in this song cannot be topped... the only thing that comes close are select tracks on The Bends. To this day it is being loved and covered, as proved by The Arcade Fire, here.

It's such an amazing feeling to re-discover a classic release and treat it as if its a newborn baby. Never was there such a case as PCL. It holds a dear place in my heart. It's my Shiloh Nouvel.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why can't i dl that song?

2:54 PM  
Blogger m said...

click on it, and then download it rather than right click/save.. it's a yousendit file.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worky.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the album that has made me listen to every New Order record, endlessly hoping for another moment that can come close to what is found here. It is the best kiss-off of Joy Division that they have ever made.

2:21 AM  
Blogger SMV said...

Wow, thanks for the flashback. After reading this entry (and Vaughn's comment - too true!), I just had to pop that CD into my computer. I'm listening to it now and, yeah, it's held up nicely. Tough to pick a favourite, although it might be "5-8-6" -- for me, that might be the quintessential New Order track. Other strong contenders: Denial (on Movement) and Sub-Culture (on Low-Life)... hmm, actually it may be the latter. So tough to pick!

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home