The Music Slut


6.4.06

Let's Go Out Tonight

Tonight, I actually had the chance to see The Raconteurs at Irving Plaza. Yesterday, I was offered up a pair of tickets at face value but I turned them down. Yes, you heard me.

Since Jack White accepted money from Coca-cola in exchange for money, I feel that monetarily I cannot support Jack White. If I was on the list for the show, it would have been a different story as I would have only been an observer instead of a full out participant. Anyway, that's the god's honest truth of the situation.



Instead, I'll be seeing R. Star at Pianos, a man who rejected major label deals in order to start his own and who is touring with Alicia Keys to support the Keep a Child Alive charity. Though I'll have to ask him why in the world he agreed to headline Mayor Bloomberg's Pre-election night party. After R. Star is The Gaskets, whom Jerry Yeti has been praising and now I'm quite keen to see.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you are going to punish the rest of the guys in the band for something Jack did?

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't have to tell everyone this. The only reason I can think of for telling people this is to show everyone what a paragon of virtue you are. Usually when people do good deeds they keep it to themselves. You could've just stuck up a banner linking to the Killer Coke site that says, "Don't support Jack White".

6:08 PM  
Blogger JK said...

You know, I knew I might catch shit for this but protesters don't sit around and chant alone in their house do they? They make their voices heard.

I find it hard to believe that the ONLY reason you could come up with for me posting this was to receive praise. How about, to let others know about my personal beliefs about music and ethics?

If you loved this, then you'll love the piece I am putting up this weekend...

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is your piece about Jack? I don't know it just seems to me like you're trying to show everyone how principled you are. It's admirable to put your ethics above a concert, but I personally didn't see the point in telling us about it. Jack could be donating the money he is going to make to a charity for all we know, but he certainly wouldn't tell anyone about it because he's not the type of celebrity who tells everyone about all the good deeds he has done. Are you still a fan of Jack's work?

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I apologize for being so rude to you ma'am. I wish I had such strong principles. Good for you for sticking to what you believe. :)

5:54 AM  
Blogger skye said...

I said it in comments to Jen's later post, and since I'm just back from Greece, I'll say it again: libertarian capitalism expects us to make choices. Jen has made a choice. She has made her reasoning clear, and given that this is a music website on which we post our thoughts (one of which is blatantly obvious due to the presence of a 'make poverty history' banner), this is entirely relevant. The Music Slut does not exist in order to tell you things you either already know or to reinforce your existing beliefs, nor is its purpose to say only things that you agree with. If you want that, buy the Daily Mail or some other tabloid rag.

If you disagree with us, fine. That's okay. In fact, it's nice. We don't always agree with each other, so we're happy if you have your own opinions. And cheers for sharing them - we're happy to listen and to let people have a forum in these comments for a bit of a discussion.

But Jen's made her choice, and if you disagree you should at least be pleasant about it. And use a username.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home