“I feel safe in black…”
Of course, the Music Slut hadn’t managed to get great seats (and was pretty peeved at having to sit). And the camera police were on patrol so I didn’t get any decent pics… I mean, don’t they know who I am?
Support tonight was from one of the Music Slut’s favourite Scottish acts, Sons & Daughters. We didn’t quite catch all of their set, but they were giving it laldy. Lots of energy, as we’re used to, and they did pretty well to fill a venue as large as the Caird and reach up to those of us away in the nether reaches of the balcony. A couple of new songs, and a rousing finish with ‘Johnny Cash’. Excellent stuff.
‘First of the Gang to Die’ was Morrisey’s opener, and the set was largely made up of material from Ringleader of the Tormentors and You are the Quarry; particular standouts were from Ringleader: ‘Life is a Pigsty’, ‘You Have Killed Me’ and ‘To Me You Are a Work of Art’. But there was plenty of older material too, including a storming ‘How Soon is Now?’ One older song didn’t go down so well with the audience; after having promised these Dundonians that they would “probably scream”, they completely failed to react, eliciting the comment that it "probably didn’t blow the lid off Dundee”. My only problem with the setlist was the lack of ‘The Father who Must Be Killed’, although we were treated to a tantalising line or two (as well as the opening bars of ‘If you take the High Road’, at one point). But the richness of Morrissey’s voice, and the quality of the performance of every song, almost made it irrelevant if it was a favourite or not.
Moz’s sarky wit was everywhere in evidence and his quips, starting off quite pleasant, began to get a bit harder as time went on and the crowd failed to react much to a lot of what he was doing. First of all, during the shirt change at the start from white to black (“white makes me feel unattractive”), then on to the cities of Scotland. “We’ve been visiting Scottish cities to see if anyone likes us. Thankfully everyone does”; “We’re off to Greenock tomorrow. It has lots of nice shops. Lots of nice shoe shops”.But the best comment, as far as I could tell, was an encore of ‘Irish blood, English Heart’; not quite a singalong for the centre of Dundee, but a nice reposte to a crowd that hadn’t really wanted to follow down the path that Morrissey wanted to lead them. A pity that; I think they would have enjoyed the journey.
Setlist:
First Of The Gang To Die / Still Ill / You Have Killed Me / The Youngest Was The Most Loved / Reader Meet Author / To Me You Are A Work Of Art / My Life Is A Succession Of People Saying Goodbye / Girlfriend In A Coma / Let Me Kiss You / At Last I Am Born / Life Is A Pigsty / Trouble Loves Me / I Just Want To See The Boy Happy / A Song From Under The Floor Boards / I Will See You In Far-off Places / How Soon Is Now? // Irish Blood, English Heart
Labels: concert review, dundee, morrissey, sons and daughters






2 Comments:
sounds like a lame crowd but great review!
can't wait for him to make his US return.
i saw him 4 times in 2004, including one time, getting a part of his shirt! (it was thrown into the crowd and i pulled on it with the other fans like a rabid wolf)
Yeah, two shirts went into the crowd last night... my own thought was "eeurgh! I don't want to see 40yo Mozza's belly"
Post a Comment
<< Home