The Lady Of The Week

You know what Shirley? We really do love you too.
Back when I was 14, I used to dance around to the self-titled debut and listen to it obsessively with my friends. I had a stunning poster in my room right next my bed.
Version 2.0 came out and I was in heaven again. I wanted to be a wolf in sheep's clothing just for you.
Beautifulgarbage came out and the world dismissed you, but not me.
The 9:30 Club show back in 2002 was a religious experience for me. Shirley, you sang, "Cherry Lips" and "Push It" directly to me (I was front row center) and I shivered. You even sang "You Look So Fine" per my request.
I've seen Garbage many many times live and I am still sort of heartbroken at the news that they are probably throwing in the towel.
Here's a fantastic shot from their last tour (ever?), from the Hammerstein Ballroom show which was, of course, spectacular.
And the accompanying setlist.
Queer
Bad Boyfriend
Supervixen
Stupid Girl
Special
Metal Heart
When I Grow Up
Vow
Bleed Like Me
I Think I'm Paranoid
Push It
Only Happy When It Rains
Why Do You Love Me
---
Sex Is Not The Enemy
Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!)
Right Between The Eyes
Labels: garbage, shirley manson






4 Comments:
I loved Garbage... my room in my first year at Uni (good ol' A17) was covered in posters of Miss Manson ripped from magazines - she is one hot lady!
First time I ever heard them was a copy of Tricky's remix of 'Milk' which I had on a tape that came free from some magazine.... then Garbage, V2.0, and beautiful, all of which I had on cassettes...
I even remember them at my first T in the Park, in '98. I think they were on on the Sunday, it had been pissing it down all day, but the skies had cleared for the couple of hours before they came on... until they got going with Only Happy When it Rains, when the skies opened again! It's seriously the only time I've ever been at a festival when I've been ecstatic to see the rain coming!
If they really do split, I'll be really unhappy - I don't care what people have ever said, criticising them for style over substance, they're still a great band...
According to Shirley, they're still together, but just taking a break. And she's working on a solo album.
http://www.nme.com/news/garbage/22500
thanks for the update buddha!
i saw them in Moscow, Russia of all places. it was an incredible experience to hear a stadium full of rabid fans singing along to words they likely didn't understand.
jen's pic two posts below is superb.
Post a Comment
<< Home