The Music Slut


8.12.05

Jen's Singles of the Year

Warning: this isn't a list chronicling the supposed greatest singles of the year. This is a list of MY favourite singles of the year. Feel free to make fun.

'The Other Side'- The Strokes, First Impressions of Earth: My personal favourite leak off the new album. It's got a great Johnny Cash, gospel rock vibe running through it.

'My Doorbell'- The White Stripes, Get Behind Me Satan: Fantastic to groove to, my favourite off the album.

'Dare'- Gorillaz feat. Shaun Ryder, Demon Days: I don't know, it's just fucking hot. Better than the first single. Why don't they play it on the radio here? Come to think of it, why don't they play anything good on the radio here?

'Fake Tales of San Francisco'- Arctic Monkeys, Beneath the Boardwalk: I don't care what anyone says about this band, that they are over-hyped or whatever. This song is fantastic and so great to dance to.

'Those Feelings'- Fiasco, Demo Album: I found this band through Ikeepadiary.com and dude, I really like. I listened to this song about a hundred times when I first found it. Their site hasn't been updated in a few months though so I don't know when their next gig is. There's no album for sale either, but I figure they must pimp them at their gigs.

'Hung Up'- Madonna, Confessions on a Dance Floor: I agree Matt, no words really for how shit hot this song is.

'Making Love in the Sunshine'- Maxi Geil and Playcolt, Limited Edition Picture Disk: Go and download at their MySpace. 'Request your presence in the bathroom once the music stops' is such a great line...and so true.

'Gold Digger'- Kanye West, Late Registration: This song isn't out in Britain. Lord knows why. After coming back to America and hearing it on the radio a few times, I just can't get enough! If you had seen me driving home yesterday you would laughed your ass off at me breaking it down. Car dancing is a lost art...

'Me Plus One'- Annie, Anniemal: Most of the singles on this list are songs that I just love to dance to, this included. So much better than 'My Heartbeat' if you ask me.

'A Place To Crash'- Robbie Williams, Intensive Care: Okay, okay, yes I know this is a Robbie Williams song. And yes I realise that many of you out there are thinking "If Robbie put out an album of him farting, Jen would like it" (which may or may not be true), but seriously. The moment I heard it I was up out of my chair and dancing around. It's a feel good song!

'Fille Atomique'- Nous Non Plus, ...Nous Non Plus: (Mostly) a fake French band hailing from Brooklyn. My favourite song despite the one titled 'One Night in Paris.' Which by the way, isn't about the city.

'Float On'- Kidz Bop, Kidz Bop 7: I would have no qualms about djing this song. It's too too funny.

'Up the Morning'- Babyshambles, Down the Albion: For a song with basically three words that doesn't start until one minute in, it's brilliant.

'Red Red Red'- Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine: Such a devastatingly beautiful song. I haven't like a Fiona tune since 'Criminal', and what was I like, eight then?

'Rebellion (Lies)'- Arcade Fire, Funeral: A song you feel in every fiber of your body.

...and I've just been informed that 'Since U Been Gone' was released in 2005. That song DEFINES my 2005. Cut to me dancing in my knickers in my room from January to April to this song.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger m said...

great list jen!

'my doorbell' live was fantastic and i'm totally with you on 'me plus one'... also love 'always too late' and 'greatest hit' much better than 'heartbeat'

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home