The Music Slut


7.6.05

Oasis rediscovered: An online chat about 'Lyla'

Skye says:
'she's the queen of all i've seen'? puh-lease. Nice to see the Gallagher's still haven't moved past the bloated dadrock of Be Here Now... Lyla is dreadful, man
Skye says:
just listening to it at the moment

Skye says:
oh man that blows
Jen says:
you have to listen to the rolling stones song now
Jen says:
it is the SAME thing
Skye says:
no, I wouldn’t want to cheapen the Stones
Jen says:
listen!
Jen says:
actually, I don't mind it
Jen says:
it's catchy enough, not great but still
Skye says:
Come on! it blows! Once upon a time Oasis made electrifying music that made me want to jump up and shout. All they've done since Morning Glory is re-hash old material... at least they used to steal from other people, now they just steal from themselves
Jen says:
how is this song stealing from themselves?
Skye says:
just re-treading the same kind of nonsense that they've pushed over the last 5 albums
Skye says:
chug chug chug 'he-ey, Lyla'
Skye says:
Actually, I suppose I take that back. They've started stealing from Status Quo
Skye says:
do you think you could actually dance to Lyla?
Jen says:
yeah I reckon
Skye says:
I don't think you can do much more than sway. Maybe shuffle a little.
Jen says:
oh god, now I got to listen again!
Skye says:
the video wasn't that good on my laptop, I think the people in it were dancing to another song
Skye says:
by a better band
Jen says:
lol
Skye says:
trying it in meeja player now
Skye says:
tump tump tump
Skye says:
There's something really grating about Liam's drawl at the start of the song
Skye says:
it used to be full of anger and contempt... here it sounds like a petulant teenager
Jen says:
the vid wasn't great on my laptop either by the way
Skye says:
'I waa-aaant another gold disc!'
Skye says:
they are totally dancing to a different song
Skye says:
No, I'm sorry
Skye says:
I did try to like it, honestly
Jen says:
well I like it damnnit
Jen says:
I am listening now, and it's damned catchy and fun
Skye says:
I'm gonna watch it again
Jen says:
and I like the rise and fall to the lyric Lyla
Skye says:
Fun? FUN? Where is the fun in this record? Under Noel's monobrow?
Jen says:
no, right under your nose fool
Skye says:
its like Oasis by numbers... like I said, there doesn't seem to be any real energy to it - it's like it *should* be really exciting - maybe if it was faster?
Jen says:
It's the same pace as Street Fighting Man
Skye says:
yes, but nowhere near as good
Skye says:
It just seems so repetitive - but where they used to come up with something really essential like 'where were you when we were getting high', now it's 'hey lyla'
Jen says:
Well lyrically it's not entirely impressive, but I think the chorus is good.
Skye says:
em
Jen says:
I also think that if this is the first single then the next could be better
Jen says:
this might just be the poppiest
Skye says:
well, they have said they didn't want to even put this song on the album! if this is the poppiest, then God help them
Skye says:
Noel's backing vocals are good
Jen says:
Truthfully I love Noel's voice
Skye says:
Seriously, if that came on in the bop, I'd be right off the dancefloor and off to the bar
Skye says:
its a perfect tune for taking a break for a pint
Jen says:
I can see you stomping to this, don't lie
Skye says:
Noel is a much better singer then Liam; but Liam used to have all that attitude - and I can't see any of that in this song
Skye says:
where's the snarl?
Jen says:
it's not his song. I mean it is more complacent. Noel is too happy and sober to write those songs anymore
Skye says:
and Liam probably doesn't take enough drugs
Jen says:
I completely feel that when watching him sing as well
Jen says:
he never wrote the songs we love anyway, and he still does enough blow to sing like that in concert
Skye says:
And that's the thing with the first 2 albums; if anyone else had performed those songs, it wouldn't have been as good - Oasis needed the anger and the arrogance; and at the time, so did we
Skye says:
now, they don't have the same emotions driving them, and frankly now it means that I just don't care about their tunes
Jen says:
well, do you not think that happens to a lot of artists
Skye says:
thinking about it, if Liam had lacked just a little of the attitude he had back in '94, would Definitely Maybe be half the album it is? I suspect not, and unfortunately he is way too happy these days; the only arrogance is what shows up in his inerviews, and then he's just a prick
Jen says:
they capture a moment in their lives, of the times then can never recapture it as soon as their bellies and bank accounts get a bit bigger
Skye says:
yes, but a lot of truly great artists reinvent themselves; okay so I wear a t-shirt that says blur: are shite, and I hate to always go back to the Blur v Oasis thing, but you have to hand it to Damon & co; they have consistently reinvented themselves and probably every album (with perhaps the exception of Leisure and The Great Escape) has been an important album
Jen says:
I think even without Liam DM would have been a great album
Skye says:
no, i totally disagree
Jen says:
just not as press worthy because he wouldn't be there causing a scene
Skye says:
Liam's voice is what made Oasis great; Noel does write great songs, but I don't think he could ever sustain a whole album, let alone two great albums
Skye says:
and N has a great voice too; but again, it just doesn't have the energy
Jen says:
well if they would have made it to Morning Glory, that is another question, and the answer is NO without Liam
Skye says:
definitely
Skye says:
maybe
Skye says:
*shamed at apalling joke*
Jen says:
no comment
Skye says:
the problem for the Gallaghers is that we all want them to make something as era-defining as those two records; unfortunately, it ain't gonna happen
Jen says:
I have now listened to Lyla about 6 times today by the way
Jen says:
never say never my friend. Noel could start doing charlie again, divorce, punch Liam in the face and be right back on track
Skye says:
one can only hope so...
Jen says:
I still think Liam is kinda hot
Jen says:
and sunglasses indoors at night will always be cool

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger skye said...

At the risk of turning into an Oasis fanzine... but i found this quite funny...

(from NME.com)

LIAM GALLAGHER BRANDS U2 'WANKERS'




The latest targets in LIAM GALLAGHER’s war against the world are U2, who he has branded “wankers”.

The Oasis frontman has been making a splash on the comeback trail, dissing the new generation of rock bands like Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand and Kaiser Chiefs.

But now, Gallagher’s wrath has extended to the old guard, with him lashing out via the Sydney Evening Telegraph after hearing that the U2study video footage of themselves after gigs.

He raged: “Wankers. Haven’t they got fuck-all better to do? I’d rather be out there getting pissed. I certainly wouldn’t go back after a gig and analyse it. No wonder they’re the biggest band in the world: ‘Oh Edge, the fourth guitar solo wasn’t right tonight’. ‘Oh sorry, Bono’. If that’s what people think rock’n’roll is…”

Gallagher’s comment follow U2’s admission to NME.COM earlier this year that one of the reasons they turned down the chance to headline this year’s Glastonbury was because they were uncomfortable about being filmed for television without having control of the edit.


(http://www.nme.com/news/112608.htm)

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home