The Music Slut


22.6.06

Flashy Python and The Body Snatchers @ Joe's Pub 6/21: Clap Your Hands Say Yeehaw


Last night's blogger convention took place at Joe's Pub to see Flashy Python and The Body Snatchers. AKA: the Alec Ounsworth project. I showed-up with mate Miss ModernAge, Chris of MusicSnobbery pretended he wasn't stalking me inside and Dan from Who's Driving The Bus looked oh so cool chilling on the velvet sofas. Together, we formed the Indie equivalent of the papparazzi- with all of us snapping pictures throughout the show. Don't worry, I made myself ill.


It should be no surprise to anyone who reads this site, that I am not the biggest fan of Clap You Hands. So it was thus that I attended this show with much trepidation, or at least some low expectations. Really, it was just meant to be an evening to hang out with my friend. I have to say though, I was really pleasantly surprised.


I am very attracted to Hank Williamsesque, old western style music. Back in December, you may recall that I commented on the revival of this type of music in New York whilst discussing O'death and their legions of fans. It seems as if Alec has caught on to this scene as well and has been inspired to create his own version of a nuovo-bluegrass band. Not being a CYHSY fan, I have to say that I think this group works a lot better. I enjoyed the entire set and thought that I actually would listen to this album. I do, however, think that Alec relies too heavily on his influences- often he would start up a song during the show and I would be tricked into thinking he was about to play a cover. His manner of singing and style of music sounds too similar to O'death, so much so that I wouldn't be surprised if Alec had their album on heavy rotation at home. Also lyrically, his songs seem a bit derived - it's tough to use the term 'Fire and Rain' and not draw a James Taylor comparison.

I got to meet Alec afterward (thanks Chris). He's a really lovely, short, fro-hair guy. Soft-spoken and affable with a good hand-shake. It made me feel bad for hating CYHSY but at least I could honestly tell him I enjoyed the show.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home