The Music Slut


27.2.06

200th Post + Crazy Karen Review #1




































Friday night, February 24th, I was treated to a completely remarkable and memorable performance by the one, the only, The Voluptuous Horror Of Karen Black.

Having never seen them before, but knowing she had a sort of cult following, I figured that there may be a few folks waiting outside the Deitch Projects Art Space on Wooster Street before doors opened. Well, a half hour before doors opened, I noticed a block full of people, and then another block! Yes, 2 city blocks long, it was crazy! Luckily, my crew and I got in alright but were one of the last few ushered in before doors were secured and the room was completely packed to the gills.

Without much of a wait, Kembra Phaler (the brainchild behind all of this) and her voluptuous bandmates took the stage, painted in blue, red, and a yellow-green. They tore through a set that included crowd faves (and mine too) "Underwear Drawer" and the set-closer "Alaska". "Alaska" included each member throwing a handfull of fake snow into the crowd while shouting "I'm going to Alaska/going to Alaska" over and over. Considering it was barely 20 degrees outside on Friday, NYC may have very well been Alaska. It was fucking genius!

I also must comment on the props. We're talking life-size ladybug and skeleton hand type creations. You tell me the last time you saw someone do a dance with a cardboard flower on their head!!

As you can also see from some of the shots, adding the kids to the theatrical stage show was surely a wise move. They looked like they were having the time of their lives!

Lastly, I am proud to say that via a Craigslist post I found someone very excited about the numerous photos I took at the show and my pictures will be featured in an upcoming issue of Dune Magazine. Wooo!!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

who played bass?

matt
spliffrd@inch.com

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam Cardon.
http://www.deitch.com/files/projects/voluphorrorPR.pdf

Seeing them again was amazing. I first saw them at Wetlands in 1992; JP Thunderbolt Patterson was the drummer then; now it's Kembrah's brother.

You forgot to write about the ace film they showed at the beginning, with Armin Ra playing live theremin! Did you see Patricia Field front center?

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home