The Music Slut


7.6.07

Mika Remains 'Label'-less Despite OUT Cover

No disrespect to Mika, but for a guy who supposedly doesn't like to discuss his sexuality, he sure does, at every opportunity he possibly can. Marketing ploy? Honestly sexually confused? Happily bisexual? Private? Here's his latest quote from Out's July issue, of which he's the cover model and story.

"Anyone can label me, but I'm not willing to label myself...Anybody who says that I don't talk about sexuality or that I don't politically sexualize my music because of taboos, because of being afraid of [not] selling records, is completely wrong. I've made a record that doesn't compromise in any way what I'm allowed or not allowed to say in my lyrics."

The fine folks over at Towleroad inform us that 'OUT originally requested Mika for the cover of their April issue, in order to coincide with the release date of his album in the U.S., but were refused. According to our source, Mika's "handlers" wanted to do a cover but only if it came out a few months down the road, because they were concerned about breaking into the mainstream market were Mika pigeonholed as a "gay artist" right out of the gate.'

What are your thoughts on the whole debacle?

MP3: Mika - Grace Kelly

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh for fuck's sake!!!! Mika is the one and only person in the entire universe about which I can truthfully say, I don't give a shit about his sexuality. I believe that honest sexual ambiguity is one of the most desirable qualities a person can have, but Mika makes me reconsider. Honest, being the key word, perhaps? Though also honestly, I'm not sure about him. I've never heard any of his music. I've been detecting an off vibe from people, about him, which has coloured my opinions significantly.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Olle said...

I'm so frakkin' tired of how this world works when it comes to sexuality. The CD won't be any different if he's bisexual, homosexual or heterosexual. It's still the same CD and the same songs. People need to accept this and move on with their sad excuse of a life.

5:47 AM  
Blogger theyallwantcake said...

who really cares about his sexuality. i think hes using this to sell his music. his music sucks and it has nothing to do with his sexuality.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's the best kind of homogay. Which is excelent.

12:36 PM  
Blogger benj. said...

having heard this guy's music, i don't give a crap what he calls himself. i'm all for decent songs sung falsetto, but this dude does not qualify. he didn't want to be on the cover of 'out' because he was worried it would keep him from breaking into the mainstream? jeez, this guy is full of himself.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home