The Music Slut


8.9.06

The Sammies, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, Catfish Haven & Birdmonster @ Mercury 9/7: Three Out of Four Ain't Bad

Tonight was one hell of a show, presented by Stereogum, at Mercury.


First up were The Sammies and I loved them. LOVED. I wandered in mid-set and kicked myself for getting there late. If you knew anything about my love life, or lack thereof, you would know that it is kinda funny that I am in love with a band called The Sammies.

Peter Birdmonster (in the plaid) jamming with the band

I wasn't able to say hi to the band before they left back for North Carolina- which was kind of a good thing because after one song, I was determined to ask if they would play our Pre-CMJ show on October 14th and now that I am home, I see that they are already booked that night. What a disappointment, however, the guys did say that they would be back in NYC for CMJ.


The Sammies are a southern inspired indie rock group with a very distinct sound and insanely catchy and clever songs. They seem to only be touring in the south at the moment, so if you live in South Carolina, North Carolina or Georgia you are in luck. The Sammies have a self-titled debut out which you can purchase on itunes or over on their site.


Next up tonight were Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin. Though the lead singer cuts a distinctly Harry Potter like jib with his tousled dark hair and round glasses and the co-lead singer is equally as endearing with his sweet politeness, SSLYBY sound just like another Indie Pop band. It actually just pained me to say that. Sorry.


Sometimes a group's album trumps their live show and sometimes vice versa. Perhaps a listen to their tracks will change my mind. Scott Stereogum seemed to really like them however.



Third on the bill were Catfish Haven, another band that I wish would play our Pre-CMJ jam, they are so awesome, but alas- I don't think they will agree to fly from Arizona to NYC just for the show. Shit.


And... I am going to caption the rest of these tomorrow. Right now, just look at the pretty pictures of Pete Birdmonster because I am freaking tired. Goodnight kids.





Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Pix!

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home